Nadine Millar's Reviews > Still Alice

Still Alice by Lisa Genova

Dec 04, 12

bookshelves: multimedia
Read in September, 2012

Here’s a book with a heart, and a brain. It is the story of a middle-aged woman, a university professor and leader in the field of linguistics, who at the peak of her career is diagnosed with early-onset Alzheimers. We’re able to go right inside Alice’s thoughts to experience the world as she does as the familiar reference points that provide security and purpose slowly ebb away. We’re also privy to the emotions of her family as they struggle to deal with what is essentially her departure from the world. It is frightening at times, always sobering, yet never patronising. It is simply an honest, quiet exploration of what it means to be conscious, not just alive.

Prepare your tissues, call for silence, you will need it in order to hear your heart breaking.

**But WAIT - this is only half the review! Please click over to my blog for a photographic-poetic-acoustic mashup of Still Alice; My mixed-media reviews get you the inside the covers of the book, literally (though without giving away any spoilers!) so you can decide for yourself if it's going to be your thing. Or if you've already read the book, this is an opportunity to immerse yourself between the pages once more so you can love it - or despise it - all over again! **

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Still Alice.