Annabel Smith's Reviews > When We Have Wings

When We Have Wings by Claire  Corbett

Mar 08, 12

bookshelves: australian
I own a copy

When We Have Wings explores issues of money and class against the backdrop of a future society in which through surgery, drugs and gene manipulation, flight has become possible, but only for the rich.

Peri, a poor girl with a shadowy past, earns her wings when she becomes a nanny to the Chessyres, a rich and powerful flier family. But when her only friend dies under mysterious circumstances, Peri flees the world she worked so hard to become part of, taking baby Hugo with her.

The world of flight, in its physical and technical dimensions, is skilfully rendered and the emotional element – the exhilaration and terror of flying - yields some of the novel’s most beautiful prose, though as the book progresses the repeated extended descriptions become tedious.

The plot is complex and gripping, with an intriguing mystery at its heart, though there is a loss of momentum midway when Peri disappears, and some of the confrontations feel anticlimactic, let down by dialogue which lacks subtlety and fails to convey an authentic sense of character. However, the tension rebuilds through a series of exciting action scenes towards a dramatic and inventive denouement.

When We Have Wings explores the ethics of human modification with intelligence and originality; a compelling and satisfying read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When We Have Wings.

message 1: by Denise (new)

Denise I enjoyed your balanced review, Annabel. The book sounds fascinating and worth exploring, although it's not a genre I would normally read.

Sean the Bookonaut I was blown away by this book, it somehow flew under my radar as a specfic reviewer and I was pleasantly surprised.

Annabel Smith Denise wrote: "I enjoyed your balanced review, Annabel. The book sounds fascinating and worth exploring, although it's not a genre I would normally read."

Thanks Denise. That's the beauty of Goodreads - it draws us to explore new reading territory. I hope you enjoy the book.

Lauren Murphy I had similar thoughts on this book about the characters. You gave it a fair review