Taja's Reviews > Delirium

Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Mar 21, 12

bookshelves: dystopia, ebook, owned, trilogy
Read from March 15 to 21, 2012

There are different kinds of dystopian books. This one is the kind that focuses on romance.
Therefore it is deffinitely not my kind of book.
I was hesitant getting into this. I like my dystopians full of action and good plot, with little to no romance.
I liked it more than I tought I will though, but still, that is all. I did not love it, I was not excited over it, I just liked it.
The premise is good. A world where love is thought to be disease. Where everyone gets a cure, and becomes indifferent.
I found it very interesting how hard they tried to keep their world like that. How they were prepared to kill! the disobedient. It made me sick.
It was also quite painful to read about Lena, a girl who has been brainwashed by society, just like others. It took her a long time to become resistant and I did not like her. She was okay for the plot, but I still could not make myself like her personally. Even after she already falls in love with Alex, she still accepts the fact that she is getting cured and is outraged when Alex suggest they run away. I thought she was ridiculous. Who in their right mind would still accept something like that, even after learning the truth? I found her incredibly annoying.
Only when she hears about her mother, she finaly realizes that running away is her only option.
and suddenly she becomes a resister.
I liked Hana. Well, at least in the beginning. She showed promise. But nearing the end, I realized she is a coward. And I ended up hating her more than Lena. She was all talk.
I think Alex was very interesting. But I feel like he could have been developed a bit more, as a character. We hardly got to know him.
The whole thing was an interesting read, but, no matter how much I liked the writing (it flowed very nicely), I still had to force myself to get back to this book, all the time. Simply because it was a tad bit boring for me, and a little too romancy. I loved the ending though. That was the only part that made my heart beat faster.
One more thing. I love the character of Gracie and I hope she returns in the second book. I hope Lena will free her. She deserves to get away from that rotten place. She is, I think, a character I loved most. Even if she was only mentioned a few times.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Delirium.

03/15/2012 page 50
show 6 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

The Cover Contessa Let me know what you think. I liked the second one better.

Taja I will :)

The Cover Contessa I'm with you. I didn't love this book. The second one has much less romance in it, believe me.

The Cover Contessa Oh, and there's a short story about Hana that Oliver wrote if you want to read it. I'm not sure if it's available in anything but ebook tho.

Taja Great, I will read it for sure :)
And yeah, I know about the Hana story, as soon as I get my hands on the ebook, I will read it. Supposedly there is some big twist at the end and I am realy curious "D
Thanks.

The Cover Contessa Do you have a sugar sync account?

Taja No, what's that?

The Cover Contessa It's an online place to organize your media, such as books. If you create an account and PM me your email address, I will add you to my folder so you can borrow my books!

Taja Oh wow that would be awesome. I will do that right away :)) Thanks!