Jean's Reviews > The Snowman

The Snowman by Jo Nesbø

Feb 28, 2012

This is my first Jo Nesbo thriller and although I was scared out of my wits (a rare feat)it won't be my last.
In Oslo a number of women have disappeared over a period of time and always in November at the time of the first snowfall. A freshly made snowman always marks the territory of the killer.
A young boy awakes in the middle of a cold November night to find his mother gone (his father is away on a business trip). A snowman has inexplicably appeared in the front garden and the snowman is wearing the scarf that his mother wore that day. This sets the scene for a terrifying game between the killer and police investigator, Harry Hole.
Harry Hole receives a mysterious letter that seems to be linked to the disappearance of the young boy's mother. Being the only policeman in Sweden who has ever encountered and caught a serial killer, Harry is thus drawn into a deadly contest of cat and mouse with an adversary who always seems to be one step ahead of him.
Evil permeates this story and the terror is so realistic in the first part of the book that I found myself checking windows and doors whilst I read. Descriptions of snow covered landscapes and freezing temperatures only served to add to the bone-chilling atmosphere.
A five star thriller - highly recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Snowman.