Matus's Reviews > Friday

Friday by Robert A. Heinlein

U_50x66
Feb 28, 12

Read in February, 2012

Basically: Heinlein's sexism and elitism rub me wrong. Extra penalty points for writing a book that's supposed to be about an amazing woman (meanwhile she still acquiesces to every man that isn't trying to kill her).

I had forgotten quite how much Heinlein loves rhetoric, and how he does this annoying thing where he has characters kindof reasonably argue a point (kindof, say, the way he'd want you to argue it with him), but of course his personal standpoint starts to slowly win.

also, the book seems to go in these 30-50 page attention span spurts, where the gears just sort of change?

however sometimes he can be pretty cool with scene, character, and event construction, so I will try once again to understand why he is so loved.. "moon is a harsh mistress" next, I guess!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Friday.

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 2: by kat (new)

kat agreed. Heinlein somehow manages to be basically brilliant but at the same time, a complete ass.

i think i like his short stories better. i don't remember liking Moon that much, but iirc it was very political. i apparently gave it 3 stars on goodreads so i guess it was ok! Time Enough For Love and The Cat Who Walks Through Walls, i remember really liking. Lazarus Long is kind of ridiculous but also kind of great; i don't think there's a Heinlein book anywhere that's isn't full of rampant sexism and strawman arguments.

Stranger in a Strange Land is, of course, the classic, though i always found it kind of "meh". avoid "I Will Fear No Evil" at all costs.

Matus Thanks for the recommendation! I will definitely check out his short stories. I seem to like reading short stories just as much as I like reading novels, however it really varies by author. For instance, I like Zelazny most in novella length (80 pages?), and Bradbury most in short stories (anything below 30 pages; although, admittedly, I've only read one novel by him ("something wicked this way comes")).

some scifi authors view the purpose of a short story as relating a single pithy idea. Maybe Heinlein is kindof like that, and feels there isn't room for his rhetoric; or, if the pithy idea was political/sociological, it'd be the point of the story up front, and you wouldn't sneakily get his philosophies by him writing his own internal arguments into the story..

alllllllso hi again!