Susan's Reviews > Dark Matter

F_50x66
Mar 04, 12

bookshelves: 2012books
Read from February 28 to March 03, 2012

January, 1937. Twenty-eight-year-old Jack is poor, lonely and desperate to change his life. So when he's offered the chance to be the wireless operator on an Arctic expedition, he jumps at it. Five men and eight huskies, cross the Barents Sea from Norway by the light of the midnight sun. At last they reach the remote, uninhabited bay where they will camp. Gruhuken. But the Arctic summer is brief. As night returns to claim the land, Jack feels a creeping unease. One by one, his companions are forced to leave. He has to decide, stay or go. Soon he will see the last of the sun, the point of no return - when the sea will freeze. And Gruhuken is not uninhabited. Something walks there in the dark.

I really enjoyed this. The arctic setting was described so beautifully and when she described the intense darkness when the moon was hidden I could almost feel it! In contrast the lifting of Jack's spirits when the moon was full really emphasised how darkness lowers our spirits. I really can't imagine living in 24 hours darkness and freezing cold day after day.

I didn't give it 5 stars because I felt it was too short and so many parts of it deserved more exploration, e.g. Jack's relationship with Gus and whether or not the ghostly presence had influenced Algie's behaviour.

A great book, but don't read it if you're on your own at night :-)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Matter.