Justine's Reviews > The Immortal Rules

The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa

May 16, 12

bookshelves: must-read-2012, dystopia, paranormal, vampires
Read in May, 2012

My first and final thought about this book was WOW! The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa is one of those books that you can't put down, don't want to end and one that you love every minute of.

Allie the main character is a survivor! She may come across at times as a little harsh but underneath it all, she cares a great deal, which gets her into big trouble quite a few times. After being attacked by 'Rabids' while out scavenging for food, Allie is saved and turned into the thing she loathes the most.... A vampire!

Julie Kagawa's world building is the best that I have come across so far. I can feel the bleak, harsh, and darkly dystopian feel oozing off the page. The descriptions given to the vampire city leave you in no doubt that this is a dangerous and sinister place to survive in. Not only do you have to worry about vampires, there are also rabids; Hideous creatures whose descriptions remind me of the things from the movie Priest,
and cannibalistic gangs that actually came across as worse than the vamps to me.

I'm not going to go into the storyline at all because I hate having spoilers, but from the word go, The Immortal Rules packs a lot of punches, which leave you gasping for air! I loved how Allie slowly comes to terms with what she has become and also fights the basic urges she now has to try to remain as human as possible.

By the end of the book, I was in love with this series and wanting the next book right then! If you want to read a book where the vampires are gritty and not the normal captivating smexy kind, this book is for you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Immortal Rules.