Leslie L's Reviews > Home: A Memoir of My Early Years

Home by Julie Andrews Edwards

Mar 14, 12

bookshelves: hi-kai-rs-book-club
Read from March 05 to 14, 2012

I loved this book. I really enjoyed all the theatre history she included. Her personal history was really interesting, and I thought she was very matter-of-fact, and while she shared a lot of stories, she did it without embarrassing herself or anyone else. Mostly though I think I loved this book so much because a) I LOVE musical theatre and had a huge silly grin on my face when she was describing rehearsals for My Fair Lady and Camelot but also b) because it reminded me of why I loved practicing theatre so much. My favorite quote from this book is when she is talking about making a connection with the audience, and judging her own performance: "Is it ever perfect? Hardly. But that rare magical performance, when one "threads the needle," is nourishment for the soul. It is the reason, ultimately, why one strives over and over to capture the feeling again." So true. I can't help but admire what a hard-working, funny, perfectionist, and loving person she seems to be. My only criticism is that it ends too soon (with her going off to film Mary Poppins), and I want to know more, more, more! I hope she writes the rest of her story.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Home.