Pablo Fernández's Reviews > I barbari. Saggio sulla mutazione

I barbari. Saggio sulla mutazione by Alessandro Baricco

Feb 27, 12

Read in February, 2012

Wonderful book. It describes -with an appealing and simple language- key aspects of our contemporary culture, how the "barbarians" are invading it, changing it -our values and traditions- (we can thing of barbarians as the new generations, or maybe as the impact of today´s most powerful economy -USA-).

He uses wine, soccer, books and education to illustrate this phenomena. He progressively shows us how they behave, the changes they made in our world, trying at the end to determine who they really are. Simplifying, we can say that USA with its pragmatic approach tends to look for the spectacular, rapidity, clarity and easiness (barbarian culture), again the historical, slow, complex and traditional values of European countries (classic culture). Unlike other authors, his is not a pessimistic view but more a curious, sharp and enlightening analysis.

I read this book upon a suggestion made by a former national university`s dean. I asked him which book I could read about the current state of education in Argentina. He answered "Baricco´s book, even though is not strictly about education, will help you to understand it better". And it did.

In summary, a great insight on today´s culture, and a deep and intelligent thought on the changes that Internet, Google and the new technologies provoked on it.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I barbari. Saggio sulla mutazione.