Whitney Oaks's Reviews > Spectacle

Spectacle by Angie McCullagh

5451918
Feb 28, 12

Read from February 27 to 28, 2012

A great, quick-read! I really related to the character, Emily. She towered over all of her peers at her high school and felt awkward in almost all settings. I too, was a tall pre-teen and teenager. I am still taller than most of my friends!
Emily's birth mother ran out on her and her older sister when they were very young. She feels like something is missing in her life, by not knowing her mother and why she left them. She suspects her mother is the reason behind her "giant gene". She sets out to find her mother and ends up in Arizona on Christmas Eve with no idea what she's about to face.
Trix, Emily's best friend, is having a hard time finding where she fits in. She's not a goody-two-shoes like Emily and her parents really don't care about her enough to raise her properly. She is promiscuous, has low self-esteem and Emily is her only true friend. She begins hanging out with the outcast/rebel kids at school and experiments with drugs, albeit unwillingly at one point. After a scary encounter in the back of a truck, she soon realizes that by hanging out with the wrong people, she is hurting her chances at graduating early and getting into design school. She starts trying harder in school and hanging out with the rough crowd less. But will it be enough? And will she and Emily renew their friendship?

You have to read this! Although it is probably geared towards teens and young adults, I really enjoyed this book. I still consider myself to be a young adult at 26. I am, right?! LOL.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spectacle.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angie (new) - added it

Angie McCullagh Thank you for your nice rating!

Whitney Oaks Angie wrote: "Thank you for your nice rating!"

You're welcome! It was a really great read. I can relate to being tall before everyone else hit their growth spurts in high school. I was already 5'8" in 7th grade! LOL.
I plan on writing a review. I finished the book really late at night, so didn't feel like it at the time. :)

message 3: by Angie (new) - added it

Angie McCullagh Thanks, Whitney! I'd appreciate that more than you know. :0)