Robin's Reviews > Teach Like Your Hair's on Fire: The Methods and Madness Inside Room 56

Teach Like Your Hair's on Fire by Rafe Esquith

Feb 27, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: abandoned

I only managed a few chapters into this book. I stopped because a few things bothered me. Firstly, obviously since the book was written by the teacher, obviously it seemed boastful. This wouldn't bother me so much if it weren't for the comparisons with him and other teachers he knows, where he constantly gives "bad examples" of his coworkers and shows how he is much better. It became quite annoying since it seemed he believed himself to be the only "good teacher" at his school and all others paled in his magnificent shadow. Secondly, the part I stopped at was an example of a girl who did a good deed anonymously and refused to acknowledge herself when a parent asked who the anonymous person was so she could thank him/her. While I obviously agree that children and adults should do good deeds simply because they are "good", I think it's a bit strange to advocate to young children that a deed is not truly good unless it is anonymous. Especially when a parent made such a big effort to find the anonymous person, why not tell them? That's my two cents, anyway.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Teach Like Your Hair's on Fire.

08/04/2014 marked as: books-i-started-and-couldn-t-finish