Pwilczewski's Reviews > Making Things Happen: Mastering Project Management

Making Things Happen by Scott Berkun

U_50x66
Feb 27, 12

This book taught me a new respect for project management. In a lot of ways my job isn't too different from software development. But this book really applies to any job where you (1) deliver something to a client or (2) work as part of a team. Project management is hard, that's why some people make careers out of it. At work we don't really have project managers, in fact they try to keep responsibility as diffuse as possible. Which is fine if you want to avoid drama and internal strife but really bad if you actually want things to get done. One idea that has really stuck with me is "management by walking around." The idea her is that with software development it can be very difficult to appreciate the team aspect. A lot of people work independently and other people only get involved when you screw up or they screw up. But a good manager will stop by, ask "what problems are you dealing with?" and provide input. Lots of other good stuff in the book, I really liked the section on writing good emails as well.

My only complaint is that the book is very wordy, though well organized. The author will have the first sentence / main idea in bold and then 4-5 lines explaining it. More often then not I could just read the bold sentence and understand his point.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Making Things Happen.