Jonathan's Reviews > The Hunting Wind

The Hunting Wind by Steve Hamilton

Mar 20, 12

bookshelves: fiction, mystery
Read in March, 2012

The Hunting Wind is Steve Hamilton's third book in the Alex McKnight mystery series. McKnight, an ex-Detroit cop who is administering his family set of cabins in the northern part of Michigan, runs into an old friend, a pitcher back from his days as a catcher in the Detroit Tigers farm system. He hasn't seen the guy in over 20 years, since he got called up by the Tigers, and got shelled in his one and only major league appearance.

This lefty wants him to find an old flame, someone he met while in Detroit for his only big league fling. He has kept her in mind all these years and wants McKnight to help find her again.

Of course, all isn't as it seems. The story twists and turns. I'm not sure anyone actually tells the truth to poor McKnight, figuring him to be one sap or another. He does eventually get to the bottom of all the subterfuge, but leaves a few bodies behind.

To be honest, this was a pretty weak entry in the McKnight series. I really enjoyed the first book (A Cold Day In Paradise) and the second book (Winter of the Wolf Moon) was, while still entertaining, only okay. This one was even slower to get going and McKnight got even more annoying. He spends the first 100+ pages telling his friend this is a stupid chase and why is he even doing this. By about page 50, we are all definitely agreeing with him. And when he puts his friend on a plane back to California, we know we are in for more, but we don't know exactly what.

Turns out his friend has a hidden past although it may or may not figure into his quest. The last half of the book is a dizzying array of changing alliances and truths, half-truths and outright lies, as McKnight tries to figure out who is using him more. And the book ends with a series of bloody murders, none of which really makes a whole bunch of sense to me.

So, all in all, not a very stellar entry. I think I'll have to hold back on reading the next one (North of Nowhere) for a bit. McKnight's schtick is getting tiresome. His incessant statement that he isn't a private detective is already very old. And you would think after all these years, his abrupt departure from the force wouldn't be such a front and center part of his existence. Move along, Alex, move along!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hunting Wind.