Evan Leach's Reviews > Catching Fire

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

Mar 01, 12

bookshelves: science-fiction, young-adult, 2000-2009, adventure, american-literature, novels, read-and-watched
Read from February 28 to March 01, 2012

A worthy sequel to The Hunger Games. Unlike its predecessor, Catching Fire does not throw the reader directly into the action. The first section of the book is dedicated to expanding the reader’s knowledge of Panem (which is interesting) and wallowing in a love triangle (which is less so…somehow I doubt that people are running out to print ‘Team Peeta’ or ‘Team Gale’ shirts. But if they are, I am firmly committed to Team Haymitch). This section drags a bit, but soon enough the plot twists and the narrative picks up. I don’t want to give away any spoilers, because while The Hunger Games relied on constant tension and terror to work, what makes Catching Fire interesting are its unanswered questions and unexpected developments. It relies less on pure action and more on mystery than the first book in the series, which I think was a very good choice by Collins.

I mentioned in my review of The Hunger Games that the book felt much more like a stand-alone novel to me than the first part of a trilogy, and I wondered how easily Collins was going to make the transition. While Catching Fire struggles early on in this regard, it soon finds its footing and does a great job in setting up the third installment. Fans of the first book & fans of young adult fiction in general will come away very satisfied. 4 stars, highly recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Catching Fire.

02/28/2012