Sara's Reviews > Bewitching

Bewitching by Alex Flinn

Feb 27, 2012

Read in February, 2012

Bewitching by Alex Flinn is a combination of several retold fairy tales that all involve Kendra the witch. The story starts with Kendra discovering that she is a witch after saving her brother from the plague that has killed most of her small town. She then comes into contact with another witch who lives in a gingerbread house, a girl with a wicked stepsister, a mermaid.

This was a frustrating book that was also very good. It was essentially a collection of short stories retelling various fairy tales and each of the tales were interesting and fun to read. However, the way the book was formatted was very frustrating. The book starts with the tale of Hansel and Gretel in the middle ages and then moves to the present to tell half of a Cinderella tale and then takes breaks throughout that story with short retellings of other tales throughout Kendra's history. While each of the tales themselves are interesting the way they are all sliced together is jarring and took me out of the story, stalling the plot and slowing the book to a stop. I would recommend this book because I loved each of the stories I just wish that the author had published them as a group of short stories instead of the way they were formatted.

Appropriateness: There is no adult content in this book. This book reads a little older than Flinn's last book Cloaked but is still appropriate for that audience (as well as the older teen audience). I would recommend this book to readers 12+ who are fans of fairytale romances.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bewitching.