Amanda's Reviews > Dead Harvest

Dead Harvest by Chris F. Holm

Mar 08, 12

bookshelves: demons, series, vampires, arc, noir
Read from February 27 to March 06, 2012

Sam sold his soul to the devil in the 1940s and ever since then he’s been hopping from body to body, possessing and utilizing them to perform his task–collect the souls of the dammed. Although he can possess anyone, he prefers the recently dead. His new assignment stops him dead in his tracks though when he touches the 17 year old girl’s soul, a girl who supposedly killed her mother, father, and brother in cold blood, and finds it untainted. His refusal to collect her sends both angels and demons after him, eager to restore the balance, but Sam insists that collecting her soul will only bring about the Apocalypse.

It all sounds super-cool, but I was left feeling very luke-warm about the whole thing. First, there’s how Sam talks, which I get is supposed to come across as witty banter, but I myself didn’t find that amusing. My other big issue with the story is a couple of really unbelievable action sequences. Ok, I get it that this is urban fantasy, but even within that we still need believability. One sequence in particular that bugged me involved Sam and the 17 year old hijacking a helicopter, flying it all over NYC, then crashing it in a park AND THEY GET AWAY. Does anyone believe this could actually happen in a post 9/11 world unless some sort of otherworldly shielding was going on? I don’t think so.

Does this mean that I think it’s a badly written book? No. It’s an interesting twist on urban fantasy and film noir simultaneously. The characters are interesting, and the plot wraps-up fairly well. I personally found it difficult to get into and found some sequences simply too ridiculous to believe. However, I do think other people might enjoy it more, perhaps someone who has an intense love for urban fantasy and doesn’t mind ridiculous situations.

Check out my full review.

Note: I received a free copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dead Harvest.

03/03/2012
36.0% "It's like a supernatural Sam Spade! Not at all what I was expecting."
03/06/2012
73.0% "There are things that are just so ridiculous you can't get away with them even in urban fantasy. Note to author."

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Daniel I found Sam's narrative voice baffling. One minute he's saying things like, "I remembered the eyes of the false WaiSun, their blackness so absolute it reduced all thought of light to the fleeing recollection of a half-remembered dream." The next minute he's describing a Jacuzzi as "ginormous." Totally took me out of the book.

Amanda Daniel wrote: "I found Sam's narrative voice baffling. One minute he's saying things like, "I remembered the eyes of the false WaiSun, their blackness so absolute it reduced all thought of light to the fleeing re..."

Lol! Good point.