Bob Barrett's Reviews > Ameritopia: The Unmaking of America

Ameritopia by Mark R. Levin

Mar 10, 12

Read from February 28 to March 09, 2012

Although I agree with the points of the author, I found the book a challenge to read. The author spends a lot time quoting philosophers who use a language that can be tough to understand. The author then makes a small comment about the quotes, but I found it hard to see how the author came to his conclusions. I was therefore forced to re-read the quotes to try to understand how the author came to his view. The first several chapters were mostly quotes of philosophers - too much so. There was not enough of him going into his own views. There was not enough of him providing facts to back up his point of view. I also did not like the fact that the same quotes were used over and over in different parts of the book.

I struggled getting through the first few chapters as the author summarizes the views of philosophers who believed in Utopian ideas and then who believed in Liberty. Luckily it is short book, so I forced myself to keep reading. In the final chapter, the author starts to talk about the influence of Utopian ideas in present-day America. He cited for example the many ways the federal government has gone beyond the limits the constitution put on the government to over reach into our way of life with too many regulations. I found this part of the book a little easier to read. I would have preferred less quotes from old philosophers and more examples of how American politicians attack and steal liberty.

When I finished the book, I felt more relieved that I was done than inspired by the author.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ameritopia.

03/10/2012
100.0% "Just read through the last chapters last night."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bob (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bob Barrett Read first couple of chapters. I agree with points author makes, but the writing style is dry. Feels like I am just reading quotes from old philosophers with a few points mixed in by the author. I have a feeling I will struggle to finish the book.

Leala Ok - maybe the reason I am not enjoying this book is due to the over summarizing in the first section. I am into the second session now - we will see .