Melissa's Reviews > Twenty Miles per Cookie: 9000 Miles of Kid-Powered Adventures

Twenty Miles per Cookie by Nancy Sathre-Vogel

Feb 27, 2012

bookshelves: memoir-biography, kindle-free-download
Read in February, 2012

What I enjoyed most about this story was the inspiration to live boldly and adventurously regardless of whether you have careers and children or not. I found their back stories of travel and settling down as well as the general idea of traveling by bike around the U.S. refreshing and exciting. I could have used more development in the writing and as another reviewer mentioned, a greater explanation and elaboration on some scenes in the story. Regardless, I'm inspired, and I suppose that's about half the purpose!

A couple highlights:

"In my many years of traveling I've found adventure is, many times, only one step away from disaster. It springs from the unknown - from having no idea how we will meet our basic needs. It is stressful, but the kind of stress I can look upon and say, "What an unexpected turn of events!" It's those days that make for the most memorable experiences, and are, therefore, the most rewarding days of a journey." (location 1405)

"We continued talking well into the night about how it seemed like the poorest regions on earth was where generosity and warmth of human spirit flowed the most abundantly." (location 1446)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Twenty Miles per Cookie.