Maria's Reviews > Hitty, Her First Hundred Years

Mar 08, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: newbery, nerdbery
Read from February 27 to March 08, 2012

Hitty is a sweet tale of the journeys of a doll. We learn about her adventures; from her humble beginnings as a piece of Mountain Ash to her adventures being shipwrecked and honored as an idol by island natives, to her treks through Philadelphia, New Orleans and back home to Maine.

I'll admit that I was skeptical at first. Her first few adventures were a bit crazy. Yet seeing the history of the US through her eyes was interesting... if not completely compelling. I wasn't nearly as fascinated with the changing fashions as Hitty seemed to be; but as an early Newbery book it wasn't bad.

I can actually see children reading and enjoying this tale. That's a plus!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hitty, Her First Hundred Years.

02/28/2012 page 30
03/02/2012 page 50
20.0% "Cute,but if the story continues to the same cycle it will become tedious"
03/03/2012 page 57
22.0% "Timeless classic? Not horrible, but not fascinating yet. Hitty has already been "almost lost forever" twice! Now there's a storm at sea."
03/04/2012 page 102
40.0% "Still surprised by the stereotyping. It was a different world in 1930."
03/07/2012 page 179
70.0% "At least she has stopped being kidnapped by crows and shipwrecked. Her tribulations now bring in some interesting history - famous singers, Civil War, etc."
show 1 hidden update…