Rose's Reviews > Ferocity Summer

Ferocity Summer by Alissa Grosso

Jul 09, 12

bookshelves: arc-or-galley, young-adult, tbr-challenge, tough-subjects, contemporary, coming-of-age, netgalley, realistic-fiction
Read from July 06 to 09, 2012

Alissa Grosso's "Ferocity Summer" had the potential of being a good novel about a girl caught in the crosshairs of drugs, a death she's set to go to trial for, and a friend spiraling out of control, but I think even with the interesting premise that was supposed to be captivating, it dropped the ball with a cast of characters that were difficult to care about. I'm usually all for rough, gritty novels with no bars held on the tough situations the characters face. "Ferocity Summer" is a mature YA novel in the sense of its content, but the problem is that Scilla (Priscilla) never amounts to being anything more than a passive player in all the events that surround her. She never takes a proactive role, and even when she begins to change as a result of observing things in her life spiraling too far out of control, she never fully comes to terms with the repercussions of hers or others actions.

The transitions in this novel were a bit all over the place for my liking, and the amount of slut shaming and derogatory terms used toward females in this book really turned me off. As I mentioned, I can take tough language and situations, but I often feel that it has to set a mood or a purpose, and there was never really a consistent one in this novel. Not to mention the random bits of Civil War history peppered into the narrative. Even with it being tied into the novel's events/sentiments of the character - the exposition often threw me out of the story more times than I could really appreciate what it had to say.

Overall, I don't think "Ferocity Summer" turned out to be the riveting read that it was purported to be with respect to its subject matter. I think there are far more novels in YA literature that delve into the problems of use and abuse of drugs, as well as other tough factors, much better than this one.

Overall score: 1/5

Note: I received this as an ARC from NetGalley, from the publisher Flux Books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ferocity Summer.

07/07/2012
2.0% "I'm starting this book a bit blind, I'll admit. I haven't heard much about it, but it does seem interesting from parts of its premise. I'm hoping it turns out well. *crosses fingers*"
07/07/2012
3.0% "I've never been one to judge a protagonist too soon, but I can tell I'm probably not going to like this girl very much, based on some of what she's already said 3% into the novel. *winces* Still, I'm reading also for the story so I'm going to grit my teeth and bear it."
07/07/2012
7.0% "Probably for the best if I stop here for tonight and continue tomorrow. It's okay, but I'll admit I'm not fond of the narration in spurts."
07/09/2012
9.0% "Took me a little while to get back into this, but I'm in full swing again. Scilla's getting an earful from her mother, and I can't say that it's without warrant. This book deals with quite many tough issues, though."
07/09/2012
15.0% "I'm sticking with "Ferocity Summer", but sad to say I'm not liking it very much. It doesn't really keep my attention for a book of its premise, and the protagonist, while flawed, is difficult to side with."
07/09/2012
23.0% "I thought "When You Were Mine" was bad with the slut shaming, this is ten times worse."
07/09/2012
30.0% "I think this is finally at the point where the dealing of Ferocity is discussed. It's taking a bit to pick up, but I'm following it a little more now because it factors in with the premise."
07/09/2012
40.0% "I'll admit I liked the scene with the fortuneteller not long ago. Seems like Scilla might mature in some way from what her fortune says, but it's still to be determined. Willow's future isn't so clear cut.

Still reading."
07/09/2012
47.0% "Not really sure why the narrative keeps flip flopping to Civil War figures. It's breaking the narrative flow with the inserts."
07/09/2012
79.0% "Still reading. Getting close to the end."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Hopefully her book Popular is better because I have that one. :\

message 2: by Rose (new) - rated it 1 star

Rose I've heard good things about "Popular", so I might give it a try myself. I hope it turns out better too.