Wanda's Reviews > Promise Me This

Promise Me This by Cathy Gohlke

Feb 27, 12

If you love historical novels you must read this new one by Christy Award winner, Cathy Gohlke. Promise Me This is a riveting story that begins with a journey on the Titanic and continues through WWI. In it, we meet Owen Allen—the loving, gentle man who tries his best to care for his little sister as well as the hungry teen boy he finds roaming the streets of London. Owen has a dream of a better life for his sister and sets out to meet distant relatives in America in order to make his dreams come true. His sister Annie has many hurdles to cross as she tries to make her way in the world after her brother’s untimely death. Then there is Michael Dunnagan, the hungry orphan who gets a chance at a better life because of Owen’s sacrifice.

While all of the characters are realistic and interesting I found myself especially drawn to Michael. The story of his beginnings and hardships fascinated me and I thrilled as I saw how he grasped the opportunities afforded him and created a better life for himself. His gratitude to Owen and his determination to become a good man just like him was very moving. Equally as moving were Owen’s sacrifices to assure that those he loved had a better chance at life. Annie’s character rounded out the story perfectly with her many struggles to protect her loved ones and survive insurmountable odds. In many ways, this novel reminded me of a Dickens tale with all the different characters and story lines woven together.

When you find a story that not only holds your attention but also has a satisfying ending, you feel your reading time was well spent. When you can also add to that the elements of Godly character, Christian sacrifice and spiritual growth of the people in the story you have found a rare and wonderful book to be read over and over as well as shared with others. This is such a book. I give it six out of five stars.

I received this complimentary copy from Tyndale House Publishers for this review. A positive review was not required and the opinions expressed here are my own.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Promise Me This.