Ché-Dermont's Reviews > The Naked Sun

The Naked Sun by Isaac Asimov

Mar 06, 12

Read from March 01 to 06, 2012

I'll start by saying that this book touched me in a way I didn't expect. In all honesty, I didn't expect it to be what it was (to me). Most would see it as a simple sci-fi murder mystery sort of thing. I saw it as a social commentary of sorts. As a person very much in love with the subject of Sociology, and to some extent, History, I could not help but draw to this conclusion. People familiar with the subjects may derive the same if they read this.

I find it hard to write a structured review about this book. I would need more than the allotted character limit to achieve that. I wouldn't think of trying to condense my thoughts as they would lose their meaning. It is a problem, surely. I can easily talk about what I enjoyed about this book, however.

I enjoyed the imagery and the believable settings presented, without the 'zeerust' trope that plagued similar writings in this time period. I appreciate the effort Asimov made to present this story as timeless. His careful choice of words and descriptions could allow you to think this book was written yesterday by a modern author. I also admired the message behind the whole story. The story touched heavily on the dangers of fear and the problem with eugenics. That's why I believe it to be a social commentary married to a detective story. It's clever. I was fond of how believable the characters were also. I'm always a fan of writers that can make me see more than text as I read. I find myself more visually satisfied than if I were to watch a movie based on the same material. I'm sure a good book or two may have made some of you feel the same.

All I have further to say about this book is that if you are interested in Sociology and social commentary, read it. If you're interested in murder mysteries, read it. If you are interested in timeless science fiction, read it. There are so many reasons to read and love this book. If you've already read it and loved it, discuss it with your peers; get their insight.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Naked Sun.

03/04/2012 page 69
33.0% "*raises eyebrow with intrigue* Jehoshaphat, this is getting more and more interesting by the sentence!"
03/05/2012 page 141
68.0% "To use a cliche phrase - the plot thickens. These Solarians are so queer!"
03/05/2012 page 145
70.0% "Ha! One Solarian calling another anti-social. Pot and kettle."
03/06/2012 page 208
100.0% "Such a wonderful read it was."

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 2: by Portia (new)

Portia S Wonderful review, Che. I myself have not been able to tap into this book, because the format got all iffy -_- However, I love how you were able to look beyond the common story and delve into the meanings that were placed perhaps behind the scenes. I'll definitely be reading this, son. ^^

Ché-Dermont Portia wrote: "Wonderful review, Che. I myself have not been able to tap into this book, because the format got all iffy -_- However, I love how you were able to look beyond the common story and delve into the ..."

Awesome. I'm gonna read the rest of the series starting from today. And did you just call me son? O_O