Sheena's Reviews > The Naming

The Naming by Alison Croggon

Aug 20, 08

Recommended for: fans of Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter
Read in August, 2008

I found this book by chance at the university book store and cannot express how happy I am that I did! I have been craving a good series since the end of Harry Potter and this book definitely got me hooked.

This is a fantasy/adventure novel that reminds me in many ways of The Lord of the Rings trilogy. However in this series you have the young Bard, Maerad, as the heroine who follows the classic plot line of a "diamond in the rough" destined to save her world from the utter destruction of the Nameless One.

The only thing that I didn't like about this book was the seemingly endless tarrying in the wilderness. It seems Croggen could have cut out a bit the monotony of Maerad and Cadvan's journey by hurrying them along a bit quicker to their destinations. However, I enjoyed her landscape descriptions and if you can let yourself become emmersed in imagining the vivid landscapes Croggen so intricately describes then you can easily overlook the slight dullness of a few parts in the book.

Overall, I completely enjoyed the First Book of Pellinor and have already finished the second one (see my review of The Riddle).

3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Naming.