Rachel's Reviews > Sunshine

Sunshine by Robin McKinley

Jul 28, 08

bookshelves: rachel-s-absolute-favorite-books
Read in January, 2005

Robin McKinley has been one of my favorite writer's since I was 11. She has yet to write a book I didn't love, and Sunshine is one of her best. It is on my keeper shelf, and McKinley on my short list of authors I'll pay their hard-cover price.

It's not your usual vampire book though. It isn't to be compared to Twilight or any of other current run of vampire stories. For one thing, Con (the vampire) is hideous and terrifying. His skin is like week old mushrooms and every time he laughs Sunshine (the heroine) passes out.

But even with that, I loved him. And so did, in an odd way, Sunshine.

The story is buffy-the-vampire-slayer-ish with people that turn blue, a plucky heroine who kills vampires with table knives, and a lot of low-key humor.

It is also told in a first-person, stream-of-consciousness style (McKinley appears to be on a streak of these) that at times can get tedious because Sunshine spends most of her time thinking about Cinnamon Rolls. And yet the voice suits the story and there is so much story and action and good dialogue that I am willing to slog through the Bakery talk.

In a nut shell, Sunshine is a fabulous story about a woman who forms an unlikely bond with the most dangerous of all creatures and the two of them work to overcome a common enemy.

It is not a romance, although there are a few graphic sexual references.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sunshine.