Karen Whittingham's Reviews > The Early Church

The Early Church by Henry Chadwick

This was required reading when I was studying theology at GTU in the early 1980's. It opened a whole new door for me onto the christian tradition. I had not realized it was so fragmented from day one. Very interesting! As I read and learned, I realized I was especially drawn to the Alexandrian tradition, which believed that the purpose of Christ's life was to teach 'deification' to his followers, ie how to become a god-man like himself. This was exactly what I was searching for in christianity after my earlier forays into Indian spirituality, but when I asked for direction in learning more about ORigen and Clement of Alexandria, I was told by my scholastic advisor that 'we aren't interested in them.' I didn't understand then, the Antiochean emphasis within Catholicism and really all mainstream Christianity in the West. I enjoyed Chadwick's book, learned a lot, and was happy to 'graduate' to Peter Brown who covers the same territory but with a much less biased perspective, more historical and capable of giving everyone their due without the need for judgement of any kind. This book is more 'towing the party line.'
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Early Church.