Sue Clifton's Reviews > In the Sanctuary of Outcasts

In the Sanctuary of Outcasts by Neil White

Feb 27, 12

Read in January, 2012

What a fantastic roller coaster of emotions Neil White will take you on in this memoir! If you DON"T like nonfiction (like me), this is a must read. It will change everything you ever thought you hated about (most) nonfiction. Neil had me from the first page, made me dislike him through the first half (but I still couldn't stop reading), and then won me over again with one line: "...in the sanctuary for outcasts, I understood the truth. Surrounded by men and women who could not hide their disfigurement, I could see my own." A moving true story of one year in a young man's life spent in prison, a prison that also was a "sanctuary" for people with Hansen's Disease, leprosy. It is a testimony to how the prisoners, both convicts and lepers, enriched Neil's life in ways money and fame could not. Neil writes with a literary style that is brilliant and addicting. His only drawback is it took him fifteen years to write this book and get it to us. Unless he gets going now, I may not live to read his next endeavor. Hurry, Neil!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In the Sanctuary of Outcasts.