Melissa (i swim for oceans)'s Reviews > Pieces of Us

Pieces of Us by Margie Gelbwasser

Pieces of Us by Margie Gelbwasser is a novel that does not hesitate, whatsoever, to teeter on the precipice of uncomfortable, dark and utterly destructive. Think about characters with both emotional and physical trauma that overrides any sort of humanity that might shine through their shells. That's what this novel shows. Through it all, we see an overtly abusive relationship unhinge each character in the large cast of characters. Alex, overbearing and hard, played the perfect villain, while Katie, played the complete victim.

I'll admit, this novel features a lot of violence, and the language, actions and emotions were extremely disturbing. I like dark books, but the audience to which this novel caters didn't feel right to me. I couldn't reconcile with the fact that this brutal book was made for teens. It's definitely a well-written novel, but I think it's important to remember that this is about abuse, and it's very hard to stomach. Take caution and be prepared for depth and trauma throughout - it's not an easy read. I give it a 3 out of 5 for execution, and I recommend it to fans of upper YA and adults. It is a good contemporary and issue-driven book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pieces of Us.