Jennifer Rayment's Reviews > Pandemonium

bookshelves: want-to-buy
Read from February 27 to 28, 2012

The Good Stuff

* Brilliant character development
* The story builds slowly but it is still exciting with lots of twists and turns
* The brilliantly written kissing scene reminded me of my very first passionate kiss -- with Ken Stewart - it was awesome (Both the kiss from Ken and the scene in the book )
* Loved how strong Lena became without Alex - good positive message for young women
* Very strong second novel in a trilogy
* Great moral questions to discuss
* Totally absorbing read - sucks you in and doesn't let go
* Introduction of some new complex and interesting characters really add to the story
* Sorry this is a little brief but hard to give some more good points without spoiling anything

The Not So Good Stuff

* The jumping from past to present really through me at first (Just more of an FYI, you get into the style by fourth chapter)
* The world they live in is hard to read about especially the lack of all consuming love for their children - this is an alien concept to me
* The ending leaves me feeling a little nervous about book three in terms of plot (Sorry would spoil if I said more, but was irritated by the ending)

Favorite Quotes/Passages

"But you can build a future out of anything. A scrap, a flicker. The desire to go forward, slowly one foot at a time. You can build an airy city out of ruins."

"A world where children crack their heads on stone fireplaces and nearly gnaw off their tongues and the parents are concerned. Not heartbroken, frantic, desperate. Concerned, as they are when you fail mathematics, as they are when they are late to pay their taxes."

"The animals are on the other side of the fence: monsters wearing uniforms. They speak softly, and tell lies, and smile as they're slitting your throats."

Who Should/Shouldn't Read

* Fans of dystopian fiction
* Would highly recommend that you read Delirium first or you will be quite lost
* Fans of Lauren Oliver's previous books obviously

4.5 Dewey's

I borrowed this from Jenn

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pandemonium.