All Things Urban Fantasy's Reviews > Hearts of Fire

Jun 19, 12

bookshelves: reviewed-by-abigail
Read in June, 2012

Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

In a few months, Kensington Books is launching The Deadglass Trilogy, a brand new “apocalyptic paranormal romance [series] set in a grisly and gothic modern day Seattle” beginning with HEARTS OF DARKNESS on August 7th. On June 26th, the prequel novella, HEARTS OF FIRE hits shelves with a story set more than a century earlier and providing the history for the feud between the Kivati (bird shifters) and Drekar (dragon shifters) races. In Romeo and Juliet fashion, a love affair begins between members of the enemy races and tragedy befalls both sides.

This is a very short story (about 75 pages on my Kindle), and I’m afraid the page length more than anything else hurt the romance. Alice and Brand see each other and are both hit with insta-love. There are long passages where each evaluates and waxes poetic about the other’s physical attributes: her violet ringed eyes, his amber-gold hair…which would have been fine if it was at least balanced by an appreciation of some internal qualities too. But it wasn’t. Ever. That shallow, superficial ‘love’ made it challenging to believe that they would essentially betray their families and start a war for eachother.

I will say that the worldbuilding was intriguing, and the idea of a feud between these two races stemming from a forbidden love affair as merit, and I’m hopeful that this history will provide richer, more satisfying romances in the full length novels. The Deadglass Trilogy includes HEARTS OF DARKNESS on August 7, 2012, followed by HEARTS OF SHADOW in May 2013, and finally HEARTS OF CHAOS in February 2014.

Sexual Content:
One moderately graphic sex scene

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hearts of Fire.