Barbara's Reviews > A Secret Keeps

A Secret Keeps by Marsha Wilson Chall

Feb 27, 12

bookshelves: animals, families, mysteries, picture-book, ncbla2013
Read in February, 2012

** spoiler alert ** A young boy cannot wait to visit the family farm--especially since his grandfather tells him there's a surprise waiting for him. It seems as though all the farm animals are in on the secret, and he listens for the secret in the eggs in the henhouse and looks for it in the barn rafters and cornfields. Once night falls, he slips outside and finds what the secret is: a litter of fluffy, friendly, rambunctious kittens. This is one secret the boy plans to keep. I liked the boy's determination to solve the mystery behind the secret and the warm scenes of the family members spending time togehter. I also like some of the evocative language in this story told in rhyming text a lot; for instance, "...a critter skitters in the hay" (unpaginated) and "She blinks and thrums a purr" (unpaginated). The idea of the barn appearing out of the mists like a ghostly ship didn't work for me, though. The illustrations are filled with warm colors and interesting facial expressions for the adults and children alike.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Secret Keeps.