Rachelle's Reviews > Desiring God: Meditations of a Christian Hedonist

Desiring God by John Piper

Feb 27, 12

bookshelves: nonfiction

Although I agreed with the book's overall message, I think it was about twice as long as it needed to be. Almost every chapter repeated the same message and included a lot of unnecessary, repetitive explanations. There was one chapter--the chapter about Love--that I really enjoyed. I think if I had read this one chapter instead of the entire book, I would have gotten more out of it.

Mr. Piper writes a lot of statements that seem to be purposefully misleading, and then spends several pages explaining what he really means. The most obvious example is the phrase "Christian Hedonism," which he repeatedly explains isn't like the world's idea of hedonism. Instead of trying to redefine "hedonism" and spending entire chapters explaining this, I would have appreciated it if he just used a different word. Call me stupid, but I frequently found myself confused. I would have benefited more if the book was more straightforward.

That's not to say that the book was without merit. The idea of service, obedience, and humility as a source of joy is unthinkable to many people, including Christians. It is a subject that deserves to be delved upon! There were times while reading this book that I had to shout, "Yes!" Mr. Piper writes many things that need to be heard.

Unfortunately, Mr. Piper's book might not be the best way to relay this important message. I'm afraid that this book might only further confuse readers. I obviously can't speak for everyone, but it did confuse me.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Desiring God.