Marcia's Reviews > The House I Loved

The House I Loved by Tatiana de Rosnay

Feb 27, 12

bookshelves: x2012, fiction, library
Read in February, 2012

Set against the sweeping changes brought about by Napoleon III in 1860s Paris, The House I Loved was truly a love story of family, home, and neighborhood as well as an intimate and heartbreaking story of city planning and urban renewal.

I love reading interior descriptions, and this author's writing was so exquisitely detailed that I could see in the movie of my mind every detail of the house on Rue Childebert right down to the occasional petal fallen on a table from a bouquet of Madam Bazelet's beloved flowers.

I could easily picture myself sitting next to Madam Bazelet as she told her story, and despite the outcome, it was a most pleasant visit.

Quotes of Note (to me):
p. 36 (on letters): You see, they are all here, within arm's reach. Sometimes I merely place my hand on the box and it is a comforting gesture that soothes me. At other times I pull one out and read it, ever so slowly, as if it were for the first time. How intimate a letter is! The slant of a familiar handwriting has the same power as that of a voice.

p. 62 (on houses): ...houses are like people, are they not, they have a soul, a heart, they live and breathe. Houses remember.

p. 158 (on readers): Now, I am aware that as a reader one needs to trust the writer, trust the poet. They know how to reach out and pluck us out of your ordinary life and send us careening into another world we have not even fathomed.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The House I Loved.