Casey's Reviews > The Fiddler

The Fiddler by Beverly  Lewis

3194216
Apr 05, 12

Read from April 02 to 05, 2012

A sweet, unlikely romance between an Amish man and a “worldly” English woman, these two people have struggles aplenty in their lives. Told in a gentle, soothing style the novel tells the story of an unlikely romance that just might turn into a very good possibility.

I was actually surprised to find I wasn’t *as* enamored with this novel as I have by previous titles. The plot lagged a bit for me and since the book was basically about Michael and Amelia with very minor subplots, I wasn’t as driven to bury myself in the story.

But I will say I got started on Amish fiction with titles “The Shunning” and its sequels, so to spot names I recognized in “Hickory Hollow” was like coming home just a bit. I smiled and loved catching up with that these famous characters have been up too. Perhaps they will be spotted more in coming novels for this series?

I liked that Amelia was a fiddler and Michael an older Amish young man who still hadn’t joined the church, both struggling to find their way. It’s a different spin on the usual Amish plot line.
While it wasn’t my personal favorite, I really don’t have a doubt that readers will fall in love with these two main characters. They are certainly endearing.

This review is my honest opinion. Thanks to the publishers through CFBA for my copy to review.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fiddler.

Quotes Casey Liked

Beverly  Lewis
“Courage is fear on its knees.”
Beverly Lewis, The Fiddler

04/03/2012 page 57
show 1 hidden update…

Comments (showing 1-10)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Rachel Brand I felt the same way, Casey. It's a relief to see that I'm not the only one who felt a bit underwhelmed by this book. It was certainly a nice, sweet story but just not as gripping as her other novels.

Casey Yeah, I agree. I was disappointed since I usually love her books. I think it's because she only had one plot line and there is usually several.

Rachel Brand Definitely. Maybe if she'd expanded the Amish parents' storyline more? The mother had her own perspective but it didn't really go anywhere. This reminded me of some of the more conventional Amish romances, whereas Beverly's previous books have been quite complex. It'll be interesting to see where this series goes.

Casey Yes and whether they will be more stand alone or connected. There really wasn't much she could pull from this one for coming novels.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I thought this one was going to be the beginning of a new series.... ???

Casey I'm going to assume it's the first in a three book series, because Beverly tends to write 3 book series at a time. It is the first, I just don't know what's coming up. :)

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Can't wait to read it! :)

Casey Hope you enjoy it!

Michelle I'm looking forward to reading this one. I love Beverly Lewis' books. Will be nice to revisit some old friends. :)

Casey I loved that too Michelle. It's so fun when authors do that. Tamera Alexander has done that with her books as well. :)