Cc's Reviews > American Nations: A History of the Eleven Rival Regional Cultures of North America

American Nations by Colin Woodard

F 50x66
Feb 27, 2012

Read from April 07 to 17, 2012

I just finished reading Woodward's book this morning.

It was fascinating to read about his explanations for the cultural differences within the US. He even included some comparisons with the cultural differences within Canada and Mexico too. It certainly gives me more insight into the deep divides within our national politics. It is very hard to understand how and why people hold certain views: but Woodward talked about how the US (or rather 2 major parts of it) has always held that it was a Christian nation. But 2 very different kinds of Christianity: Public Protestantism (change society for the greater good, social gospel: they think in terms of transforming the world in preparation for the 2nd coming, utopian ideas, harness government to improve society) and Private Protestantism (believe the world was inherently corrupt and sinful, concentrated on personal salvation and right thinking.. they are interested in maintaining order and obedience. Authorities know best and should rule). These two basic ideas about the world are still clashing in today's society.

The middle part of the nation whose cultures come from the Borderlanders of Scotland, Wales, Ireland and the Midlanders who come from Quakers that welcomed in Dutch, French,etc hold the balance of power. Which ever side they go with, rules the federal government for those years.

An interest read and good for many discussions.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read American Nations.

Comments (showing 1-3)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 3: by Lynna (new) - added it

Lynna my friend Linda is reading this and recommended it to me. She has really enjoyed it.

message 2: by Lynna (new) - added it

Lynna Glad you ENJOYED it, I will have to get busy and get it read.

message 1: by Cc (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cc You will like it.. start reading it when you have time to read and think..not a fast read.