Soumi's Reviews > Grave Mercy

Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers

May 06, 14

bookshelves: young-adult, books-i-reviewed, arc-e-galley, historical-fictions, owned-copy
Read from February 27 to March 02, 2012

"I bear a deep red stain that runs from my left shoulder down to my right hip, a trail left by the herbwitch's poison that my mother used to try to expel me from her womb. That I survived, according to the herbwitch, is no miracle but a sign I have been sired by the god of death himself."

A History

Escaping her father’s rage and brutal arrange marriage, Ismae took shelter in a covenant that serve Mortain, the saint of death and the nuns running the place was no ordinary ones. Soon Ismae learns she is one of the specials sired by death himself, chosen to serve his purpose by all means of devotion and without questioning anything. After spending several years in training to be an assassin, Ismae was chosen to protect Anne of Brittany from France and keep an eye on political situations of Brittany. Determine to find out the person who is trying to sell Brittany’s in to Frace, Ismae found herself in a massive political turmoil and her heart drawn more and more to Gavriel Duval, a Breton noble and half brother of Anne, who is the prime suspect of treachery. Will Ismae choose her loyalty over heart, even if it means not to see him again or will she be able to proof Duval Innocence?

The first line and I was engrossed from the start to end. I was drawn to the elegant writing style and alternative history of thirteenth century that pulled the tension between Brittany and France. The twisty plot filled with lies, manipulation, bargain, betrayals and all kinds of violent disturbance in court politics, kept me hooked up with each of the pages.

Handmaiden of Death

The way author had painted Ismae with various color of personality was very artful of her. She conveys aura of grace and courage, beauty and brain in equal measure.
I was immediately thrust into the dangerous and difficult life that Ismae was adapting. Trained to perform every art of killing and bless by death himself, we saw her grown into a deadly assassin and a responsible woman in same time.
Torn between her duty to Covenant and love for Duval, she must choose one and the consequences of her decisions and actions can jeopardize the whole situation.

The Warrior

Duval was a male lead like no other, strong and determine. Part mysterious and part known Duval was multifaceted a character with depth, feeling, and emotion who can charm you with his presence and personality.
Though his loyalty always lies to his sister and his country and vowed to protect them, Duval was accused by act of deliberate betrayal many times, rising questions on his commitment. Trying to prove his innocence and protect his half sister, he teamed up with Ismae and eventually ends up falling for her.

Romance

"Whenever you are ready, or if you never are, my heart is yours, until Death do us part. Whatever that may mean when consorting with one of Death’s handmaidens.”

I loved the slow burning romance blended with some tense moments between Duval and Ismae, making the story immensely entertaining that was unputdownable. Initially they didn’t get along at all, but after several arguments and eye rolling, Duval and Ismae agreed to work together for protection of Anne and at some point they developed feeling for each other.
I liked how the whole chemistry worked, slowly and passionately with some sizzling moments that brought them very close to each other. They had a depth and genuineness in common and I was warmed by the way they cared for each other.

Gave Mercy was strangely beautiful and compelling, a historical fiction perfectly harmonize with some ancient myth and dark legends. We learn some tantalizing clues behind the political subterfuge and murders.
The novel was refreshing, the actions and battles were epic. The author developed the characters fabulously, made you think about them and what might happen next.
I found myself getting sucked in and then being astonished by how much I loved the book and the lead characters.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Grave Mercy.

02/28/2012 page 50
10.0% "Mhan...."
03/01/2012 page 200
39.0% "what a brilliant book...and Duval...I love you"
03/02/2012 page 350
69.0% "Given 5 stars before I could finish, this is that good"
show 2 hidden updates…

message 1: by Sudipa (new) - added it

Sudipa Bera I'm glad that you took time to write the review and came up with a fabulas one

Soumi Yay...thanks a lot.I almost ate my brain up to write the review.

message 3: by Sudipa (last edited Mar 05, 2012 08:36AM) (new) - added it

Sudipa Bera I'm waiting for the release and I swear i will buy the book.

Soumi Eh? I'm planning to buy the book and keep it in my collection too

message 5: by Sylvia (new) - added it

Sylvia OMG this book is so me I can't wait To read and buy it!!!

Rebecca ♥ Matrim, Kishan, Magnus ♥ I was already looking forward to this one just judging by the premise. I cant wait to read it!

Soumi Heinzypop wrote: "OMG this book is so me I can't wait To read and buy it!!!"
Seriously, though i have already read it, still i desperately want the book. It's kind of book like you can hug after reading

message 8: by Soumi (last edited Mar 05, 2012 06:11PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Soumi Rebecca ♥ Ash, Jem, Kishan ♥ wrote: "I was already looking forward to this one just judging by the premise. I cant wait to read it!"
Beautiful historical plot blended with ancient legend and strong leads, both male and female, enough to judge the book. :) :)

message 9: by Noemi (new) - added it

Noemi Wow, Soumi, well done, let me looking forward to reading it. When will it be released?

Soumi Noemi wrote: "Wow, Soumi, well done, let me looking forward to reading it. When will it be released?"
Thank you :) The book will be released in first week of April and must read, i bet your gonna love it, looking forward to know what do you think

message 11: by Priyak (new) - added it

Priyak Ghosh seems like it's plotted in some historical background which is why it is so much unputdownable and the political background makes the turns and twists so much intriguing.but nonetheless whenever a bad guy and good girl meets love happens but in this case they worked together as a team to extricate themselves and his sister as well from intertwined surface and that's why i liked this book very much.

Soumi Priyak wrote: "seems like it's plotted in some historical background which is why it is so much unputdownable and the political background makes the turns and twists so much intriguing.but nonetheless whenever a ..."
Ummm, correcting you, here no bad guy or a good girl thing is going on, both are Bad Ass...

message 13: by Noemi (new) - added it

Noemi Soumi (in love with PUCK) wrote: "Noemi wrote: "Wow, Soumi, well done, let me looking forward to reading it. When will it be released?"

ok, thanks :)

Soumi Noemi wrote: "Soumi (in love with PUCK) wrote: "Noemi wrote: "Wow, Soumi, well done, let me looking forward to reading it. When will it be released?"
Thank you :) The book will be released in first week of April..."

Pleasure is mine, looking forward to know what your gonna think about the book. :) :)

message 15: by Priyak (new) - added it

Priyak Ghosh Soumi (in love with PUCK) wrote: "Priyak wrote: "seems like it's plotted in some historical background which is why it is so much unputdownable and the political background makes the turns and twists so much intriguing.but nonethel..."

Isame does not seem so much bad ass like Duval but book is good and looking forward to it...

Soumi Priyak wrote: "Soumi (in love with PUCK) wrote: "Priyak wrote: "seems like it's plotted in some historical background which is why it is so much unputdownable and the political background makes the turns and twis..."
Ohh boy, trust me, Duval was a noble man of Brittany and Ismae was trained to be the fighter....wait for April 3rd

message 17: by Soumalya (new)

Soumalya Ghosh nice one.

Soumi Thanks :) :)

Nobonita Wow!How in the world can you write so much!!!???But the review's awesome :D
I'll make sure that I squeeze this book in my schedule.
(by the way, I really wanna create a blog.Can u give me some tips on how to make one?)

Soumi Nobonita wrote: "Wow!How in the world can you write so much!!!???But the review's awesome :D
I'll make sure that I squeeze this book in my schedule.
(by the way, I really wanna create a blog.Can u give me some tips..."

Ohh darling thanks a lot :). yes of course i will give you tips about blogging. just drop me a message that what do you want to know

Eunice Great review, Soumi! I agree, it was a beautiful and compelling historical fiction! I found myself getting sucked up too. Loved Isame and Duval! :))

Soumi Thanks Eunice, I liked the combination of historical plot and fantasy. I'm hoping to see some more Ismae and Duval romance in next book though he next one will be more focused on Sybella

message 23: by Arunangshu (new)

Arunangshu Pal Blah, blah, blah, blah...
ne, comment kore dilam! ;)

Soumi Arunangshu wrote: "Blah, blah, blah, blah...
ne, comment kore dilam! ;)"

Ja re.....ha ha

message 25: by Anya (new) - added it

Anya Sí, I am a little late at starting this, but the book seems promising. Very elegant review Soumi

Khanh (Clowns, Nightmares, and Bunnies) I liked the second book a lot better =)

Soumi Ditto.