BRNTerri's Reviews > The Other Countess

GENRE: Young Adult Historical Romance
SETTING: England, 1582
SERIES? The Lacey Chronicles, #1
MY GRADE: B+

MY THOUGHTS: I enjoyed this. Though it’s young adult it didn’t really seem like one, and that’s a good thing. Eleanor, ‘Ellie’, is just sixteen years old. She lives with her alchemist father, who’s not really liked my many. Her mother is deceased and her Spanish title was passed on to her, though she doesn’t use it. Her father’s English and their last name is Hutton.

William is just eighteen and is the oldest of four. He met Ellie years before and was very rude to her and years later when they meet again, it’s the opposite! He’s taken with her right away and she feels the same. Though he’s titled, the family is poor and he fights their attraction so that he can marry a weathy girl. Things don’t go as planned and it works out in the end for both of them.

My favorite characters are Lady Jane and her maid, Nell. Jane is cold and wealthy and becomes friends with Ellie though she shouldn’t because of their stations in life. Nell finds herself in a situation with Jane’s brother Henry and plots to find a way out of it and succeeds. Henry’s a not so nice character who takes a liking to Ellie but she refuses what he wants of her. He’s a bad man but that’s why I like him.

What I didn’t like about the story and what kept if from getting an A+ was the stuff involving Ellie’s father and her meeting her relatives near the end. The relatives were totally unlikeable and were overly religious and I just didn’t find those two parts interesting.

The next in the series, The Queen’s Lady, is to be released in April and is about my favorite, Jane.

I received this from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Penalty Protection

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Other Countess.