Meg - A Bookish Affair's Reviews > The Sister Queens

The Sister Queens by Sophie Perinot

Mar 01, 12

bookshelves: 2012, fiction, historical-fiction
Read in March, 2012

This book was fascinating. I had not heard much if anything about the Savoyard sisters. The book really only focuses on the reigns of Eleanor (who became Queen of England) and Marguerite (who became the Queen of France) but history shows that their sisters, Sanchia and Beatrice, became the Queens of Germany and Sicily respectively. Can you imagine having four queens in one set of siblings? It's pretty amazing from that perspective.

I thought that it was interesting that Perinot chose to focus on the relationship between Eleanor and Marguerite as their two countries, England and France, were often at odds with each other. Yet you can see that the sisters only let this get in between them for just a little bit before they are able to overcome it through the power of sisterhood.

Even though they were both queens during powerful times in their countries' histories, their lives are very different. Eleanor seems to have made a relatively good love match with Henry while Marguerite's marriage to Louis is lacking of so much of what she wants. I loved that you get to kind of see what each respective sister is going through in the letters that they write to each other at the beginning of each chapter. I though that this was a really good touch. You kind of get to see another side of the sisters this way and it definitely makes them feel a lot more real.

This book will definitely appeal to historical fiction lovers like me that love good stories with bright characters and rich detail. Perinot is a great writer and I'm anxious to see what other books she comes out with in the future.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sister Queens.