Riku Sayuj's Reviews > The Good Man Jesus & the Scoundrel Christ

Apr 10, 14

bookshelves: myth-religion, extra-creative, r-r-rs
Read from July 18 to 19, 2012

Well played, Pullman.

Philip Pullman meets Alyosha and tells him his story.

Alyosha flushed. ‘But... that’s absurd!' he cried. 'Your poem is in praise of Jesus, not in blame of Him — as you meant it to be. And who will believe you about freedom? Is that the way to understand it? That’s not the idea of it in the Orthodox Church.... That’s Rome, and not even the whole of Rome, it’s false - those are the worst of the Catholics, the Inquisitors, the Jesuits!..'

Later Ivan came storming into Pullman's front porch, after learning from Alyosha about the novel length expansion of his prose poem. ‘That’s plagiarism!’ cried Ivan to Pullman's face, highly delighted. ‘You stole that from my poem! Thank you though.'

Then he turned on a surprised Alyosha and announced, 'Get up, Alyosha, it’s time we were going, both of us.’

Pullman went back to the project he was working on, what is a little borrowing as long as you borrow from the best.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Good Man Jesus & the Scoundrel Christ.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rakhi (new)

Rakhi Dalal Had been waiting for a review on this...:)...

Riku Sayuj Rakhi wrote: "Had been waiting for a review on this...:)..."

very difficult to do without spoilers... lemme see

message 3: by Nathan "N.R." (new)

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis Riku-

Riku Sayuj Nathan "N.R." wrote: "Riku-
I'd like to hear more from you about what you said in your Brothers K review, about Pullman taking the easy road."

I intend to expand on all the points.. once i get all my thoughts in order.

message 5: by Nathan "N.R." (new)

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis Riku wrote: "But primarily, you do get the connection between this book and the Grand Inquisitor chapter right? From there you might even work it out for yourself unless you have read them too long ago... "

Brothers K was ages and ages ago. Pullman's never appealed to me. I hear the outline of the Grand Inquisitor often enough that it's familiar, but I couldn't be held accountable for it.