Donna's Reviews > A Perfect Blood

A Perfect Blood by Kim Harrison

Feb 27, 12

bookshelves: urban-fantasy
Read from February 26 to 27, 2012

Rachel hunts a hate group determined to create its own demon, and she faces changes in both her abilities and her personal life.

The first half of the book gets back into an old-school Hollows investigation, but it also emphasizes Rachel's unfortunate tendency to be miserable about whatever circumstances she's in. We get some much-needed separation from Ivy, but a good bit of that time is devoted to conflict with yet another attractive new guy.

It's not that I'm against the introduction of new characters, most of the ones in this book were interesting. But the latest resident of the Vampiric Charms church comes off as a total afterthought. The last time we see him, he's slipping into unconsciousness as Rachel incapacitates him to run off headlong into danger. There's no mention of the man at all in the weeks-later epilogue, as if Rachel cared as little as I did about the aftermath of that incident.

As usual these days, Trent and Jenks are my highlights. Rachel herself appears less competent than she did in the beginning of the series, apparently months had passed but she was still unprepared for being in the field without ley line magic.

The book could have used a bit more editing as well. Imagery or phrases were sometimes repeated, and I kept getting distracted by unclear sentences and muddy dialogue.

I hope the remaining Hollows books keep the focus on Rachel's existing relationships, especially her understanding with Trent. He's the most intriguing character in the bunch, so it would be nice to see Rachel finally start to give him the consideration that he's earned.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Perfect Blood.