Darshana Khiani (Flowering Minds)'s Reviews > Cloudette

Cloudette by Tom Lichtenheld

Apr 05, 12

bookshelves: favorites, perfect-picture-book-friday, reviewed
Read in August, 2011

This is a sweet, charming book about someone small wanting to do something big and important. A theme every child can relate to. Cloudette doesn’t mind being small, in fact there are some perks. But she feels a little left out when the “big clouds” go do “big cloud” activities. Cloudette then sets out to figure out how she can do something important. At first she is met with disappointment but she perseveres and figures out her special place in the ecosystem.

Tom Lichtenheld has done an amazing job in capturing the experiences and emotions of a young child in Cloudette. For example, the big clouds running off to do something important, or when she asks the towns people if anyone needs her and they tell her sorry they don’t need her services. Along with the text, I love the colorful, lively illustrations. My kids enjoyed reading the dialogue embedded in the illustrations (anyone know if there is a technical word for this?). I love picture books that do this, it gives the book an extra special touch.

Click here for the original review and activity ideas at Flowering Minds.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cloudette.