Jennifer Ellision's Reviews > The Forest of Hands and Teeth

The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan

Mar 22, 12

bookshelves: library, ya, young-adult, zombies, read-in-2012, reviewed, post-apocalyptic
Read from February 26 to March 14, 2012

Posted to Almost Grown-up:

I have never read a book like The Forest of Hands and Teeth.

Carrie Ryan has a wonderful way with words. Her language just carries you along, all floaty and lyrical and beautiful. And that’s what makes the fact that this book is BEYOND CREEPY perfect.

Because, HOLY CRAP, this is a zombie book. As much as Iwas enjoying it, I couldn’t read the whole thing straight through because it FREAKED me out. I swear, I could hear the zombie moans following me around for days, and could see the masses of the undead chasing after me. Terrifying. Totally terrifying.

But while it is one of the scariest books I’ve ever read (seriously, don’t read it at night unless you yawn through horror movies), it’s also a love story. There’s this story of Mary and how much she loves Travis. I’m going to admit, I really don’t see Travis’s appeal or why Mary loves him, but I did enjoy her ruminations on love and whether it was “enough.”

Furthermore, it’s not just romantic love that Mary thinks about– there’s also familial love and friendship love that she takes time to think about and they are interesting themes to ponder.

I don’t watch horror movies… but I would read the next books in this series. I have it on good authority that they are even better.

Overall rating: 3.5/5. Beautifully written, horror lovers will be even more enamored of The Forest of Hands and Teeth than I was.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Forest of Hands and Teeth.

03/02/2012 page 75
24.0% "I need to not read this in one sitting. I'm thoroughly creeped out."