Diane Ferbrache's Reviews > The File on Angelyn Stark

The File on Angelyn Stark by Catherine Atkins

Feb 26, 12

bookshelves: family-stories, high-school
Read in February, 2012

Angelyn is a girl with a bad reputation. Her mother hates her. Her stepfather ignores her. Her boyfriend just broke up with her because she won’t put out. Her best girlfriends are spreading rumors about her. The only ones who seem to be interested in being around her are her developmentally delayed neighbor, a girl in class who is also a social outcast, and Angelyn’s World Cultures teacher. As Angelyn’s story is revealed, the consequences of all these relationships create a lot of problems for everyone.
I enjoyed this story of life out of control and how one’s choices can sometimes have unintended consequences. It’s a well-paced story that should appeal to teens. I liked that it wasn't too predictable, but that there weren't any outlandish surprises either. My only complaint…there’s no real sense of place – although not a critical piece of the story, details of the town and school would have grounded the story better. Some of the scenes and conversation are pretty detailed, so it’s for older teens.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The File on Angelyn Stark.