Linda's Reviews > Home: A Memoir of My Early Years

Home by Julie Andrews Edwards

Feb 26, 2012

liked it
Read in February, 2012

Ahhhhh, Julie Andrews. My earliest memory of her was being dazzled....no, totally immersed in her portrayal of Maria in "Sound of Music" almost fifty years ago.

Such a treat to get a peek into her life; albeit her family life growing up was so sad. But even as a child, her voice was recognized as phenomenal. In spite of the fact that agents and producers sought her out, she never considered she was good enough to make it into Broadway or Hollywood. But make it she did, and her grace, eloquence and marvelous voice have inspired thousands of us.

She beautifully captured the joy sharing her great musical gift has brought her:

"Once in awhile I experience an emotion onstage that is so gut-wrenching, so heart-stopping, that I could weep with gratitude and joy. The feeling catches and magnifies so rapidly that it threatens to engulf me.. . Most of all, it is the music--when a great sweep of sound makes you attempt things that earlier in the day you might never have thought possible. When the orchestra swells to support your voice, when the melody is perfect and the words so right there could not possibly be any others, when a modulation occurs and lifts you to an even higher plateau...it is bliss. And that is the moment to share it.

One senses the audience feeling it, too, and together you ride the ecstasy all the way home.

There's that word again. Home.

Then I think there is no more magical feeling, no one luckier than I. It is to do with the joy of being a vessel, being used, using oneself fully and totally in the service of something that brings wonder. If only one could experience this every night."
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Home.