Christie's Reviews > Irish Girls Are Back in Town

Irish Girls Are Back in Town by Cecelia Ahern

Mar 02, 12

bookshelves: contemporary-fiction, controversial-issues, ireland
Read from February 26 to March 02, 2012 — I own a copy

I have three reasons for picking up this book. First of all, I bought this book 3 years ago when I was going through a phase of buying any book with Cecelia Ahern's name on the cover (LOVED her story in this book) and it has since been gathering dust on my bookshelf. Number two, I needed a Short Story Collection for on of my myriad reading challenges I'm participating in and it seemed a good excuse to dust this one off. Thirdly, what better way to kick off the month of March, notorious for being the month of shamrocks, leprechauns, and "Kiss Me, I'm Irish" T-shirts on people without an ounce of Irish heritage in them, than to read a book of stories written by some of the most well-known female Irish authors?

I enjoyed this book as much as I can enjoy any short story collection (not being a big fan of short stories in general, I rather like big, fat, juicy novels that could be better used as doorstops). The stories were mostly good. There were a few that left me going "huh? what?" but for the most part I enjoyed the stories. Some were hilarious, some were sad, and some were downright disturbing. I have to ask, "What is it with the Irish and death?" There were maybe 6 stories out of the 19 that did not have some sort of death theme. I do have a list of a few authors I would like to try the novels of from reading this book. I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys contemporary Irish fiction (especially any fans of the authors featured in this volume).

Genre Bingo: Short Story Collection
Paranormal Scavenger Hunt: Ghost
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Irish Girls Are Back in Town.

02/26/2012 page 33