Jamie's Reviews > The Seduction of Phaeton Black

The Seduction of Phaeton Black by Jillian Stone

4199122
Originally posted at http://www.addicted2heroines.com/2012...

ARC provided by Kensington

The Seduction of Phaeton Black takes place in Victorian England in 1889. When trying to describe Phaeton Black and this book, in my mind I imagined a combination of Sherlock Holmes, The Mummy movies and Indiana Jones all rolled up into an imaginative and clever book. The cover for this book does not do it justice.

Phaeton Black is a paranormal detective for Scotland Yard. He can sense all sorts of paranormal beings. He is young, handsome, extremely intelligent and given to debauchery. He is a womanizer and enjoys his evenings with absinthe. He lives in an apartment in a whore house and has no personal attachments to anyone.

His nose was strong and straight. His mouth was full, and yes, sensuous and kissable. Hair much too long to be fashionable, but there was something about the mode.

While out investigating paranormal activity, Phaeton quite literally runs into a beautiful young woman who is being chased by pirates. She pleads for his help to hide her from the pirates, and he agrees in a most forward and untraditional of ways. This is our first introduction to America Jones, the Cajun daughter of a New Orleans witch and an English sea captain father. America is also able to sense paranormal beings and has supernatural abilities herself. The initial meeting between these two characters is interesting and unforgettable. Miss Jones ends up knocking herself out, so Phaeton brings her home with him while still unconscious. Thus begins the frustrating and intriguing relationship between Phaeton and America.

Phaeton has a soft spot for America, so while he's working a paranormal case, he agrees to help America track down the aforementioned pirates. The pirates, under the leadership of Yankee Willem, have stolen America's recently deceased father's ships. Along the way to solving both mysteries, Phaeton and America engage in a playful, sultry relationship.

Phaeton is tracking down a paranormal being that he believes is responsible for the "Jack the Ripper" murder cases. The paranormal entity is a goddess, but is confusingly referred to as anything from a succubus to a vampire throughout this novel. This was one of the only complaints I had. Phaeton receives help from a quirky cast of side characters including Dr. Jason Exeter, who also has paranormal abilities, Jin Ping, the paranormal hermaphrodite and Edvar the Gargoyle. The mystery surrounding the goddess Qadesh is well written and kept me interested throughout the entire book. I was also pleased with the secondary plot line concerning America Jones and her plight to win back her father's ships.

The relationship between Phaeton and America begins as a fun, light affair. Phaeton and America have fun together and enjoy an easiness around one another. As the story progresses, Phaeton and America become more and more wrapped up in one another, and the relationship becomes far more meaningful than Phaeton would like to admit. There are hot sex scenes, as well as a very good kinky scene. Phaeton becomes more and more nervous as he realizes he doesn't want to let America go. He has a past issue that he has not come to terms with, which is revealed towards the end of this book. He is uncomfortable with his feelings, and this made reading the last third of this book rather stressful for me!

Truth be told, he was more than taken by her. Soon the little minx would capture him body and soul. From the very start she had wormed her way into his life and now he could hardly believe it himself. He was soft on Miss Jones. What a horrifying development this was.

One thing I really liked about this story is that America is a very strong woman. She can fight, she sticks up for herself, and she will not allow any of the men in this book to bully her. She refuses to compromise on her shipping business, and doesn't let her attachment to Phaeton cloud her judgment.

This book is well written, in my opinion. The language used is very much what I would have expected in Victorian England. I was transfixed on this book from the first page. I also very much enjoyed the dry, sarcastic humor employed throughout this book. Phaeton is a very dry character, and had me laughing several times during this book. Everything with Phaeton is so matter-of-fact. Below is an example of Phaeton's dry observations. Keep in mind that Phaeton is in no way attracted to men.

Phaeton perused the nude body of the man standing directly in front of him. Golden skin, lean muscle, impressive phallus even at half mast. Magnificent. If he wasn't inclined toward the female sex, he would surely be aroused. Actually, he was aroused.

I think that Jillian Stone is a very talented writer and story-teller, and I cannot wait until the second book in this series, The Moonstone and Mrs. Jones, is released later this fall. This is definitely a series and an author to keep an eye on.

"Because you two are - like spirits, are you not? Among all things earth and stars, you have crossed paths with the special one, Mr. Black."
10 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Seduction of Phaeton Black.

03/16/2012 page 107
31.94% "This is getting a bit HOT!"
03/17/2012 page 171
51.04% "I think I'm kind of loving Phaeton Black :)"
03/18/2012 page 283
84.48% "This feels like a cross between Sherlock Holmes, The Mummy and Indiana Jones. I love it!"

Comments (showing 1-20)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Christen *Goldilox And The Three Weres* There's an arc tour for this in the group if you're interested. It doesn't come out till April. I'm about half done with it so far.

Jamie Yeah - I'd love to read this :)

message 18: by HeatherJay (new)

HeatherJay I thought this one looked interesting. It comes out the same day as Sacrificial Magic, so I'll wait til after I get my Terrible fix then read it ;)

Jamie Get your Terrible fix and then grab this one;)

message 16: by Emmy (new)

Emmy Looks like I need to bump this up on my TBR list. Sounds good! But yes, Terrible comes first... :D

Christen *Goldilox And The Three Weres* YAY! I'm so glad I'm not the only one!!! Wasn't this so good? At the beginning I was like...eh...but then I fell in LOVE with this!

Jamie Oh, no! I liked it from the beginning! I'm really excited about this series!! And I totally loved it;)

Christen *Goldilox And The Three Weres* If you go to the author's website you can check out the next two books in the trilogy! And she has another series that started in January that sounds great too. I think its set in the same time period and everything, its just not paranormal.

Jamie I asked her if this was only a trilogy or if it would be more and she didn't answer. I hope it's more ;)

Christen *Goldilox And The Three Weres* Its a trilogy as of now. That's what her site says.

message 8: by Emmy (new)

Emmy When you tag it holy hawt sexiness, makes me think I need to read this ASAP! lol

Christen *Goldilox And The Three Weres* Yes you do!!! Holy hawt sexiness is an excellent way to describe this one!!!

message 6: by Emmy (new)

Emmy Can it be Tuesday yet? LOL.

message 5: by Dija (last edited Mar 24, 2012 12:52PM) (new)

Dija Love this review, Jamie! Now ignore me while I go green with envy that you and Christen got to read it before me. :P

Jamie Thanks, Dija! I really hope that you like it. I know Christen and I did. Miss Vain should be finishing it today ;-)

message 3: by AH (new) - added it

AH I keep seeing this book everywhere. Looks good!

Jamie I really enjoyed it. It's kind of a historical, paranormal book with a good dose of romance.

Christen *Goldilox And The Three Weres* A good dose of romance is an understatement! It is very...um...sexy!!! :p