Wei Cho's Reviews > David Copperfield

David Copperfield by Charles Dickens

Feb 26, 12

bookshelves: classic, historical-fiction
Read in January, 2010

I liked this book, I just wished I had liked it more because Charles Dickens in one of my favorite writers and because this book is his most mature creation and has lots of potential. This book taught me a lot of new words and ways to write things. However, on the technical side, I felt this book was somewhat long. It was hard for me to read through the entire book. I wished I could have read it faster because I was kinda enjoying the tale.

David is such a miserable character, miserable as in a good thing because he has gone through so many things in his life. It is rewarding to see him struggling and come through. Dickens has an ability to make me feel for their characters since the beginning and wish for their well-being in the end of the story.

In this story, we follow David Copperfield life as he grows from a naive child into a fully-realized adult. There is some comedy and tragedy. What I loved the most about David was his honest innocence and insightful thoughts about everything he encounters in the "growing up" process. Some characters are quite unforgettable, they made me laugh and feel for them. I suppose there was a love story, but with Classic books, it is difficult to really feel (in this case read) that something romantic is going on.

Good book. Just a bit too long.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read David Copperfield.