Sarah (saz101)'s Reviews > Faefever

Faefever by Karen Marie Moning

Oct 31, 12

bookshelves: urban-fantasy, faeries, 2008-releases
Read from February 26 to 28, 2012

“Evil books and mysterious players and plots within plots, and now prophesies, too,” comments Mac at one point in Faefever. And, well, there you have it. Evil, sentient books, cryptic players—both good and bad—and, yes, now we have prophesies, too. Once again, Karen Moning has upped the stakes, intensified the fever, and, after this, MacKayla Lane will never be the same again...

Mac’s search for the ancient, evil book, the Sinsar Dubh continues in Faefever, but, as always, she's not the only person on the hunt for it. With enemies who should be allies, and allies who could as easily be against her--and just may be--she doesn't know who to trust. And the cryptic, mysterious Jericho Barrons and Fae Prince, V'lane, are both vying for trust, loyalty, and something much more personal.

But time is running out. More Unseelie, the evil 'dark' Fae, are slipping through cracks between our world and theirs, and their prison may not hold. Mac's world is crumbling, and not even her powerful Sidhe-Seer abilities may be able to stop it.

The End of the Rainbow...
I thought Darkfever was dark. I thought Bloodfever was darker. If they were dark, Faefever reaches pure obsidian. No longer ‘Miss Rainbow’, Mac's grown, and become more independent. Rather than simply reacting to what's thrown at her (which is a LOT, give a girl a break), she's starting to make her own moves, plans, and she's asking questions. Yes, Mac's always been curious, she's always asked questions, but she's starting to ask them of herself. In Faefever, Mac is really asking who she can trust. And the answer she comes up with? Herself.

Mac finally puts her foot down, refuses to be a pawn to the players around her, whether Barrons, V’lane, or Sidhe-Seer leader, Rowena. But my delight in her backbone is coupled with frustration: I’m desperate for her to look beyond words to actions. I want her to trust someone, and Barrons has been the only constant, the only one to prove his concern--far beyond the simple protection of his ‘investment,’ over and over again.

The Players:
As the plot thickens, so does the complexity of its players. Don’t make the mistake of thinking this means you’ll get answers, though. Seelie Prince V’lane returns with a far larger role to play, determined to insinuate himself into Mac's life (and bed), and we see more of cold, calculating Sidhe-Seer Guild Mistress, Rowena. We finally meet other Sidhe-Seers... though not without great cost to Mac. Teenage faerie-hunter, Dani, pops up again, and it’s delightful seeing some light amongst the darkness of Faefever, in the form of a sisterly-bond they develop.

Mr Dark, Dangerous, and Infuriating
But once again, there’s one other ‘player’ who leaves me desperate for more, flicking scenes, pages, and whole chapters ahead: Jericho Barrons. The Fever series’ biggest riddle, we’re no closer to any answers. Who is he? What is he? Once again, the cryptic, inscrutable man gives away nothing, but for the first time, we’re given clues. Tiny hints about what he is, plenty of red-herrings, and still absolutely nothing remotely satisfying. The push/pull between Mac and Barrons intensifies, and I smell jealousy. Present in Bloodfever, it’s intensified, and now unmistakeable. Barrons’ poker face is slipping. I loved it. The nuances of Barrons' and Mac's interactions are fascinating. None of their words are what they seem, and it's a reflection of the complexity of the series on a whole. Layer upon layer upon layer of meaning tied up in a sentence, and an expression. The unresolved sexual tension between Mac and Barrons is electric and scorching and maddening as ever, and I may just immolate if they don’t.

The Verdict:
It’s hard to look past the end of this book, the darkest hour, to the light within, to the detail, to its subtle nuances and how crucial it is to the series on a whole. Faefever is a key point, an essential fulcrum, to the progression of the series. The myth and folklore deepens, and we get closer to some long-awaited answers, including the origins of the sinister Sinsar Dubh. More questions are asked, and, of course, fewer yet are answered. Plots deepen, already complicated characters become infinitely more complex, and if I felt the previous two books in the series were dark, Faefever is dark, darker, and darkest still.

By the end of Faefever, Mac’s taken to places so dark, I don’t see how she can come back again. Surely she can’t walk away from this unbroken? Big, dark, cataclysmic things happen in Faefever, and the ending of this book was difficult to read. I’ve grown to love this girl, and my heart was torn open, shred apart, and swallowed whole by the fate she suffers. Fever fans, brace yourselves. And have book four handy.

Faefever is the first book in the series to end on a real cliffhanger, and its shocking conclusion left me horrified, shaken, and sick to my core. Easily the darkest place the series has reached so far, it’s also the most complicated, the most compelling, and once again, it’s left me desperate and feverish for more.
5 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Faefever.

Quotes Sarah (saz101) Liked

Karen Marie Moning
“Nobody looks good in their darkest hours. But it's those hours that make us what we are.”
Karen Marie Moning, Faefever

02/27/2012 page 340
97.0% "Oh no no no no no no! :O" 2 comments

Jennifer at BookShelfery WOOHOO!!!! *headbang*

Sarah (saz101) Hehehe! I love it! But I keep flicking forward going "That's nice... NOW WHERE'S BARRONS?"

Ugh... Mac's trust issues with him are kind of frustrating... I mean, they NEED to be there. He's obviously self interested, and he won't answer a DAMN. SINGLE. QUESTION. But AAAAAAAAAAAARGH! *head-desk* the manouevering around behind his back? He doesn't answer personal questions, but if she confronted him about his actions, which is what she has a problem with, he usually answers, right?

Errr... do you know what I mean? I actually think the trust issues NEED to be there, because if she blithely trusted someone so obviously dangerous, and self-interested and cryptic, she could wind up dead, if it were anyone... but I mean, if you look at his ACTIONS, as opposed to what he says, and doesn't say, you can see he obviously cares for Mac in some capacity, and WHY CAN'T THEY GET OVER IT AND JUST TAKE EACH OTHERS CLOTHES OF ALREADY!

Oh goodness... I feel like a pervert *runs away and hides*

message 3: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim Wow, you're flying through these. I can't wait to see what you think of the next one. The ending of Faefever was just so "AH!"

Sarah (saz101) AAAAAAAAH! KIM! You have no idea. THEY'RE ADDICTIVE :S
I'm halfway through Dreamfever now, and so frustrated (Mac/Barrons) I'm flicking ahead to the NEXT BOOK >___<

message 5: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim NO! No flipping! You'll ruin everything if you flip!

Sarah (saz101) errr... too late. Ruined everything >___<
*runs away crying*
BARRONS! NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
*cries some more*
*kicks Barrons and Mac*
BEHAVE, YOU TWO! BE NICE!

message 7: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim *hugs* There, there. It'll all work out well in the end. I promise.

Sarah (saz101) *sobs*
She's dialled IYF, and the besty thing has shown up, and this can NOT be good :'(

message 9: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim You'll be ok. Remember when you told me to trust you during Drink Deep? Well trust me, you'll be ok.

Jennifer at BookShelfery Haha, yep! Keep on plugging!