Mike's Reviews > Into the Wild

Jul 27, 2008

liked it
bookshelves: non-fiction
Read in August, 2008

The story of Chris "Alexander Supertramp" McCandless did not really grab my attention. McCandless is not a particularly likable character from the very beginning, and only gets worse throughout.

The only thing that kept me going was the book's brevity. Clocking in at a measly 203 pages, I continued to plug away at it. I was rewarded about 120 pages in with Krakauer's personal tale of survival in Alaska when he was the same age as McCandless. This was the best part of the book.

I've heard the movie is much better than the book, and I hope that assessment is correct.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Into the Wild.

message 1: by Beth (new) - added it

Beth How are you liking it so far?

Mike I'm going to start it in about 5 minutes. It's, like, 207 pages, so I should finish it in a couple of days. Stay tuned.

message 3: by Beth (new) - added it

Beth I tried reading it this past winter - didn't get too far into it...I am going to try again after my beach reading summer.

message 4: by Beth (new) - added it

Mike I got the movie from Netflix and had wanted to read the book first, so I went to the library and took it out. Off to start reading!

Andrew Read Under the Banner of Heaven by this author.

Mike Thanks for the tip!

Mike Booooooring... I've read 115 pages in 10 days. It's very slow, and the main character is not very likable. I hope to finish it soon.