Maria's Reviews > In the Hand of the Goddess

2071484
Mar 04, 12

bookshelves: owned-books
Read from February 26 to 27, 2012

Just like the first book, in the second book we saw a great deal of character growth with Alanna. Alanna goes from a squire to a knight, from fourteen until she's eighteen. That's probably what I love the most about this series - the great time lapses as we see Alanna grow up and I'm hoping the next two books will continue with that. Alanna really grew up into a young woman since in the beginning of the series when she was only ten. I really felt like I knew Alanna personally since we're seeing her grow up so much.

Some of the other characters were a little flat but Tamora Pierce did give them a lot of focus so I don't feel like that they're that bad. Alanna also acquires a rather adorable cat called Faithful. Again the writing, which is pretty simplistic, is the only reason I'm giving it four - although I still loved reading this book. Since the books in this series are pretty short they're quick light reads that I finish in one sitting.

With the second book comes romance between Jonathan and Alanna as well as Alanna and George - and there was some sexual content but honestly it was vague enough that it shouldn't be too worrisome for younger readers.

I'm really addicted to this series and can't wait to start the next two books. I also know that in later years Tamora Pierce started writing larger books as the Harry Potter series proved to publishers that young readers are willing to read bigger books. With the improvement of the writing and the larger books I'm definitely looking forward to not just the rest of this series but the rest of Pierce's books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In the Hand of the Goddess.