Yinglin Chen's Reviews > The Vast Fields of Ordinary

The Vast Fields of Ordinary by Nick Burd

Feb 26, 12

bookshelves: freshman-year
Read in February, 2012

The Vast Fields of Ordinary is an appropriate title for this Being 18, and going off to college in another state in a few months, things are pretty hectic in the life of Dade. Dade's life in general is pretty complicated, and definitely not like a teenager at all.

He's different, and not like the other teenagers that live around him. Life is complicated for Dade, but he doesn't have a choice but to live through all this trouble. Being bullied for his sexuality, is heartbreaking and really rude. They call him names every chance they get.

His family isn't the best either. His parents' marriage is falling apart, with one holding on to it, and one just fading away. His dad isn't home often, and his mom is always "meditating" in her own little room.

After a harsh "break-up" with his "boyfriend," his life is a mess until he met someone new. But not so long after, jealousy strikes.

Nick Burd write this novel with a lot of details, so I can visualize what is going on. This book is also written in Dade's point of view, but with the details during this story line, I feel like I'm somewhat living in Dade's life.

But from reading this book, I actually learned a lot about life. Bullying is really serious, especially for making personal choices that don't matter to others. Bullying hurts, and it is really a waste of time to make fun of others. I don't bully people, but I never really been "bullied" before. After reading this book, I kind of know how it feels like and I definitely don't want to try it.

I think anyone should read this book, because it is really touching. It is an amazing book to read, especially if you just want to get your mind off your troubles. This book brings you into another world of trouble, of another teenager.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Vast Fields of Ordinary.